Community Liaison - Pacific Heartbeat
An outstanding opportunity, to contribute to healthier Pacific communities.
About the team
The Heart Foundation is New Zealand’s heart health charity. Our vision is hearts fit for life, for this generation and the next. Research, education, prevention and quality care underpin the work we do.
Pacific Heartbeat (PHB) is a community health promotion initiative of the Heart Foundation set up in 1991. Pacific people experience high morbidity and mortality rates of heart disease compared to non-Pacific New Zealanders. The PHB team aims to make a difference to Pacific people’s ‘heart health’ by encouraging and supporting individuals and community groups to make positive lifestyle changes by offering a range of services nationally. As the only health provider in the nutrition/food area with a strong and proven Pacific cultural competence, the PHB team have diverse and collective cultural knowledge, which places them in a powerful position to have a genuine impact to Pacific communities.
About your responsibilities
You will support the achievement of the PHB team’s three core goals, ‘shifting mindset’, ‘trusted go-to Pacific resource’ and ‘delivering quality and measurable impact’. You will focus on liaising with organisations and communities, promoting PHB programmes and services with the aim of extending the reach of healthier lifestyle messages and skills to positively empower Pacific people to take control of improving their own health and well-being. You will also:
- Promote PHB training courses among the Pacific workforce
- Promote PHB health messaging and healthy lifestyle education initiatives, to Pacific populations
- Disseminate up to date nutrition and physical activity information to Pacific communities across a range of channels
- Liaise with employers of course graduate’s; to maximise student learning, being actioned
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Pacific influencers in the target workplaces and communities
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of resources and digital content
- Prepare and contribute to Ministry of Health reports
Your skills and attributes:
You are likely to have previously worked in a community liaison or advisory role and be a natural connector of people. You will also bring to the team:
- Literacy in a Pacific language
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills
- Proven ability to work cross culturally with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Outstanding communication skills, including as a public speaker and in writing reports
- A self-starter, with strong initiative and proven organisation skills
- Passion for nutrition and healthy food
- Personal commitment to living a healthy lifestyle
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy
- Valid and clean full drivers licence
To apply for this fixed term, full-time opportunity, please send your CV, together with a cover letter detailing your motivations for applying, to:
Human Resources Advisor
- Ellerslie, Auckland based
- 40 hours per week
- Please note that we will only consider NZ Residents/holders of a valid Work Visa for this role
- Applications close on Sunday, 16 September 2018.