Heart Health Advocate – Auckland
We're looking for a Heart Health Advocate – Auckland to join our team.
About the role
Contribute to the achievement of the Heart Foundation’s Vision, Mission and Strategic Plan by supporting people living with heart disease and facilitating and advocating for heart health to our target audiences in both the personal and public health domains.
The role of the Heart Health Advocate (HHA) includes responsibilities for volunteer engagement & support, heart health advocacy, cardiac care and support and Branch office coordination.
Hours and travel notes
- Permanent full time 40 hours per week role.
- The role covers the Auckland and Northland regions.
- The role includes travel.
- This role may require work outside of usual business hours (e.g. to attend and facilitate community events).
Your skills and attributes
- A tertiary qualification in a health, social science, education, human services and/or community development discipline; or proven patient support and/or community development/health promotion work experience
- Demonstrated experience and ability to effectively network and engage with diverse communities and stakeholders
- An understanding of and commitment to the heart health of people in New Zealand with a focus on high needs groups (e.g. Maori, Pacific, South Asian people, etc.), including an understanding of addressing inequalities in health
- An individual with an empathetic approach and manner
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities, manage time and work autonomously
- Confident public speaker and presenter (small and large groups)
- Understanding of recruiting, working with and coordinating volunteers
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Current, full and clean drivers licence.
(Note: the following are core competencies to be developed within the first 12 to 18 months of employment) Understanding and knowledge of heart health promotion including:
- Personal, social and environmental factors influencing heart health, including nutrition, physical activity, and tobacco control
- Awareness and understanding of cardiovascular disease and heart health
- Inequalities in health as they pertain to heart health
- Understanding of public health advocacy at different levels
- Experience and understanding of the health sector
- Some experience working with the media
- Ability in identifying, analysing and problem solving on a day-to-day basis
- Experience in the not-for-profit or charity sector.
To apply for this role, please send your CV together with a cover letter to Jan Aitken, HR Advisor, Heart Foundation by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that we will only consider New Zealand Residents/holders of a valid work visa.
Applications close 5:00pm 31 May 2019.Get the full position description