Pacific Nutrition Training Facilitator
Contribute to healthier Pacific communities.
About the team
The Heart Foundation is New Zealand’s heart health charity. Our vision is hearts fit for life, for this generation and the next. Research, education, prevention and quality care underpin the work we do.
Pacific Heartbeat (PHB) is a community health promotion initiative of the Heart Foundation set up in 1991. Pacific people experience high morbidity and mortality rates of heart disease compared to non-Pacific New Zealanders. The PHB team aims to make a difference to Pacific people’s ‘heart health’ by encouraging and supporting individuals and community groups to make positive lifestyle changes by offering a range of services nationally.
As the only health provider in the nutrition/food area with a strong and proven Pacific cultural competence, the PHB team have a diverse and collective cultural knowledge which places them in a powerful position to have a genuine impact to Pacific communities.
About your responsibilities
You will support the achievement of the PHB team’s three core goals, ‘shifting mind-set’, ‘trusted go-to Pacific resource’ and ‘delivering quality and measurable impact’. As a confident Samoan language speaker, you facilitate training, mentoring and support in workshops, ensuring skills and knowledge are imparted to workers in the health sector, leaders of Pacific communities and the wider health settings. You will also maintain connections with recent graduates of PHB programmes.
Your key areas of focus, will also include:
- Nutrition training for Pacific and non-Pacific health workers across the seven DBHs with a high Pacific population
- Delivery of PHB health promotion messages across a variety of channels; Pacific radio programmes, community sessions and social media
- Contributing to the on-going evaluation and improvement of all PHB training programmes and initiatives
- Work collaboratively with the wider PHB team
- Contribute to Ministry of Health reports
Your skills and attributes:
You are likely to have previously worked in a health promotion, health navigator, educator or sports focussed position. You will also bring to the team:
- Outstanding facilitation skills
- Samoan language skills (both spoken and written)
- Knowledge of the diverse Pacific ethnicities in NZ and their health needs
- Personal commitment to living a healthy lifestyle, including a passion for healthy food
- Ability to work unsupervised and to manage multiple tasks and projects/programmes
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy
- Valid and clean full drivers licence
To apply for this opportunity, please send your CV together with a cover letter detailing your motivations for applying, to:
Human Resources Advisor
- Ellerslie, Auckland based
- Fixed term, 40 hours per week
- Please note that we will only consider NZ Residents/holders of a valid Work Visa for this role
- Applications close on Sunday, 16 September 2018.