Big Heart Day
Support the Heart Foundation's Big Heart Appeal and hold a Big Heart Day at your early learning service.
Registrations for Big Heart Days are closed for 2021. You'll be able to register for a 2022 Big Heart Day in November.
A Big Heart Day is a fun day when tamariki, whānau and staff come together to raise awareness about keeping our hearts healthy to prevent heart disease.
Everyone gets involved to learn about healthy hearts and raise funds for life-saving heart research.Register Now
How to get involved
There are heaps of fun ways to hold your own Big Heart Day fundraiser.
Your centre could:
- have a 'wear red' day.
- organise a heart-healthy morning tea.
- have an 'active day' with wheelbarrow races, obstacle courses or a dance party.
- make a healthy food heart collage from pictures of food.
Tohu Manawa Ora | Healthy Heart Award
If you're doing the Tohu Manawa Ora | Healthy Heart Award, get parents and whānau involved in the fun and use your Big Heart Day towards the collaboration strand. Remember to take photos for your evidence.
A Big Heart Day is a great way to kickstart a heart-healthy new year. The kids will have lots of fun too!
Win a visit from Hearty
If you host a Big Heart Day, your service could win a visit from Hearty.
To enter, email us:
- the category you’re entering (choose from the list below)
- your early learning service name
- photos of your Big Heart Day and a brief description of how your service represented the category
Email your entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Choose one of these categories to enter:
- best whole centre engagement
- healthiest kai
- most active day
- best healthy heart drawing or painting made by tamariki
- most creative learning experiences
Big Heart Day resources
Get inspiration with our fun activity ideas resource. It has ideas for:
- healthy eating
- physical activity
Let the local media know all about your Big Heart Day with our media release template. It'll be great publicity for your early learning service.
Invite whānau to your Big Heart Day and let them join in the fun. Here’s a template invitation for you to use.
Read the terms and conditions for the Win a visit from Hearty competition.
1. This competition will run for the period 1 February 2021 to 29 March 2021 (the 'Promotional Period').
2. The competition is only open to New Zealand Early Learning Services who register to hold a Big Heart Day between 1 February to 28 February.
3. To enter the competition, entrants must email a photo of their Big Heart Day event to email@example.com during the months of February and March. Only one entry per early learning service is permitted. 4. No purchase or fee is required to enter the competition.
5. The prize is a visit from the Heart Foundation mascot, Hearty, to the winning early learning service (The Prize). Winners can specify their chosen date and time to redeem their prize.
6. Entry into the competition is deemed to be acceptance of these terms and conditions.
7. Heart Foundation staff members and their families are not eligible to enter the competition.
8. The prize winner will be drawn by the Heart Foundation by random selection from all the valid entries on 30 March 2021. The Heart Foundation’s decision is final.
9. The winner will be notified in mid-April 2021 by the Heart Foundation via the contact details on record used to enter the competition.
10. The Heart Foundation is not liable for any loss, damage or injury by any person in connection with the competition or the prize.
11. The prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash.
12. This competition is run by the National Heart Foundation of New Zealand, 9 Kalmia Street, Ellerslie, Auckland, 1051.
Big Heart Day donations
Donations collected for life-saving heart research can be deposited into the Heart Foundation BNZ account.
Please use your early learning service name and Ministry of Education number as a reference.
Thanks for your support! We're grateful for the life-saving funds Big Heart Days provide.
Good luck! We hope you get a visit from Hearty soon.