Banana mango cake
A delicious cake ideal for desserts
TIME TO MAKE 45 - 1 hour
MEAL TYPE Dessert
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Grease and flour a 20cm spring form cake tin
- Drain the mangos, reserving the mango juice
- Slice the mangos thickly and set aside 30g of mango flesh for glaze
- Sift flours, baking soda and mixed spices into a bowl
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar and margarine until light and creamy. Gradually beat in egg and buttermilk.
- Add bananas, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of the reserved mango juice and beat until just combined
- Fold in the flour mixture. Do not over-mix. Spread 1/3 of the batter into a prepared tin. Top with half the mangos, leaving a 1 - 2 cm boarder. Spread with another 1/3 of the batter
- Cover with the remaining mangoes and top with the last 1/3 of the batter. Scatter with almonds
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool
- Brush with the mango glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a processor and puree.
- Pass through a sieve.
Recipe from The New Classic Cookbook, Loukie Werle, National Heart Foundation of Australia 2008