A clever take on the classic butter chicken, this time without the butter. This curry is still rich and rewarding and has all the creaminess you'd expect from the original.
- In a large saucepan heat the canola oil and add onion, sauté until soft over medium heat
- Mix the diced chicken with the turmeric, cumin, nutmeg, pepper and garam masala
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown lightly on each side
- Add the tomato paste, water and sugar
- Cook gently until chicken is cooked through
- Remove from the heat
- In a separate saucepan gently heat the evaporated milk
- Add warmed evaporated milk to other ingredients and serve
Notes for food services
If the sauce seems too thin we recommend thickening with cornflour. Simply wet the cornflour with a little water and add slowly to the simmering sauce while mixing constantly
This dish is able to be held at serving temperature for up to 20 minutes. After that it may split.