Fish cakes with salad and lemon yoghurt
Rata Cafe at Zealandia, Wellington have kindly supplied this delicious recipe that features on their award winning children's menu.
- Place fish in a medium sized saucepan with the milk, bayleaf and thyme
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for approximately five minutes, being careful not to overcook the fish
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the milk, once cool remove the fish and reserve the milk
- Break the fish into flakes and refigerate until needed
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water
- Bring to the boil and simmer until a fork can easily be inserted
- Once cooked, drain and mash with a little of the reserved milk to make a soft and moist mash- not so much that it becomes sloppy though
- place the corn in the microwave and cook on high for six minutes
- Once finished peel the corn and cut the kernels off with a sharp knife
- When mash has cooled down enough to handle add the corn, spring onions, eggs and flaked fish and mix gently
- Form into approximately 100g pattys
- Dredge pattys in flour then a little of the reserved milk and then into breadcrumbs
- Pan fry the pattys until golden brown on both sides then finish in an oven set at 180C for 10 minutes
- Serve with a dressing made by mixing the yoghurt, lemon juice and zest and a green salad
Rata Cafe use gluten free flour and breadcrumbs to keep this recipe gluten free.
Rata cafe have joined up with the Heart Foundation's Kids' Choice programme which works to promote healthier children's menus around New Zealand.