This is a rice pudding with a delicious difference. Very popular in India for good reason.
- Grind the rice in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle until quite fine and almost powdery
- Heat the milk over a low to medium heat and add the ground rice and sugar
- Stir often while it cooks to stop lumps from forming
- Continue to cook until it has thickened to a paste
- Remove from heat and stir in the fruit puree
- Pour into individual serving bowls or one large container and refrigerate until set
- Garnish with the fruit and serve cold
Any pureed fruit will work in this recipe, but berries are particularly good
If using a mortar and pestle you can soften the rice by soaking in water for 30 minutes prior to grinding. Drain the water off before grinding. This will make it easier and quicker.