Onion dip with crudites
This is where the Kiwi classic onion dip came from. This dip takes some time to make so be prepared.
TIME TO MAKE 1 - 2 hours
MEAL TYPE Side
- Place onion and olive oil in a heavy frying pan
- Heat slowly and saute very gently for approximately 1 hour, stirring often
- Add water to pan and bring to a very gentle simmer
- Simmer until all the water has evaporated
- The onion should be a deep, light golden colour
- Add onion powder and vinegar and reduce to a paste
- Allow to cool completely
- Mix onion mixture with sour cream and yoghurt
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
This dip is great served with fresh seasonal vegetables cut into crudites.