Pita pocket with falafel, tahini and salad
A classic Middle Eastern falafel dish brought together with a delicious cabbage salad. This recipe was created by Western Springs junior master chef competition winner Naor Tal Alfassi Berman.
TIME TO MAKE 2+ hours
MEAL TYPE Dinner
- Soak chickpeas overnight
- Lightly chop onion, garlic, coriander and parsley then place in food processor with chickpeas, pepper and cumin and blend till fine consistency.
- Place tablespoon sized balls of falafel onto a baking tray
- Spray falafel lightly with canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Bake at 210°C for approximately 10 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned
- Toss together the red and green cabbage, grated carrot, 2 tablespoons of coriander, orange juice, olive oil, red onion, lemon juice and tomato
- Mix together the tahini paste, water, crushed garlic and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- You may need to add more water to get to the desired consistency
- Toast pita bread
- Fill pita bread with salad, falafel and tahini sauce