This seafood chowder meets the 'Everyday' criteria for schools and early childhood education services under the Food and Beverage Classification System. It tastes great too!
- Gently sautee the onion, carrot and celery with the olive oil in a large pot
- Add garlic and sautee briefly
- Add water and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer gently
- Add fish sauce
- Mix cornflour with a little cold water to form a thin paste
- Slowly add cornflour paste to soup mixing constantly until you reach the desired consistency
- Add peas and corn
- Add prawns, mussels and hoki
- Return to a gentle simmer and cook until all seafood has cooked through
- Add evaporated milk and remove from the heat
- Serve immediately
For a thicker chowder you may like to thicken this with cornflour. Simply wet some cornflour with a little water and slowly add to the simmering chowder while stiring constantly.