Spaghetti carbonara the healthy way
Here we've performed a makeover on the classic spaghetti carbonara, transforming it from a fat laden and salty dish to a light, healthy and spectacularly delicious meal.
- Bring two pots of water to the boil
- Into one pot add the spaghetti and boil for approximately 10 minutes or until al dente
- Heat a frying pan and cook the sliced bacon. The bacon will render its own fat so no need to add more
- Once bacon is crispy, add garlic and stir gently
- Remove from heat before garlic browns and add evaporated milk, set aside
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside
- In the second pot of boiling water blanch the zucchini and carrots for one minute
- Drain and add to the pasta
- Add the bacon and evaporated milk, egg, parmesan cheese and pepper to the pasta as well
- Mix well and serve
Notes for food services:
This recipe does not hold well. For large quantities we suggest preparing this in batches and serving as soon as possible.