Spiced fish with barley salad and pickled onion
This simple dish is easy to make and has a great variety of flavours and textures. For a quick meal make the salad and pickled onions ahead of time. This is an adaptation of a recipe originally published in Mindfood.
Mix together the red onion and vinegar and keep refrigerated for at least 2 hours before serving
- Place barley in a rice cooker with the water and cook until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice cooker turns to 'warm'
- Remove from rice cooker and allow to cool
- Add remaining salad ingredients and keep refrigerated
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Coat the fish fillets in the spice mixture
- Heat a frying pan with the oil and cook the fry the fish until golden brown on each side and just cooked through
- Place the fish on the barley salad with some of the pickled red onion
- A dollop of unsweetened plain yoghurt is also a good accompaniment