Steamed salmon wrapped in nori with a seaweed salad
Don't be fooled by appearances, this delectable dish inspired by Japanese flavours is actually really easy to prepare.
- Cut your salmon fillet into 125g portions
- Place each piece of salmon on top of one nori sheet
- Mix together the miso, mirin and rice vinegar
- Spread this mixture over the top of the salmon
- Gently and slowly wrap the nori around the salmon so it doesn't crack. As the nori gets moist it will soften and this will become easier.
- Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad
- To cook the salmon place a steamer above a pot of boiling water
- Steam the salmon for 5 minutes then remove from steamer and allow to rest at room temperature for a further 5 minutes
- Slice in half and serve
- Boil the edamame for 5 minutes then drain and rinse in cold running water until cool
- Remove the stones from the umeboshi and cut in half
- Mix all salad ingredients together and serve with the salmon
These ingredients are all commonly available at most Asian food stores in NZ and in many supermarkets. The seaweed salad often comes frozen in a vacuum packed plastic bag and is already seasoned with sesame oil, sesame seeds and chili.
Umeboshi are salted and pickled plums from Japan, these are quite strong in flavour. You don't need many in this dish and you may want to try one before adding to the salad just in case they aren't to your liking.