Butternut pumpkin gratin
The addition of fresh herbs add to the flavour and colour
TIME TO MAKE 1 - 2 hours
MEAL TYPE Dinner
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan). Spray gratin dishes lightly with olive oil spray.
- Combine half the oil, onions, rosemary and sage in a large non-stick frying pan and cook over a moderate heat until the onions start to caramalise, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with pepper and spread into the prepared dish.
- Toss the pumpkin in the flour and discard the excess. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan. Add the pumpkin and cook until brown, about 7 minutes, tossing frequently. Add the parsley, season with plenty of pepper and cook a further 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin mix to the onions, scatter with grated cheese and pour over the milk.
- Bake until the top is brown and the liquid absorbed, about a further 20-25 minutes.
Recipe from Real Food, loukie Werle, 2005.