Kiwi pele lautala
Bring a bit of masterchef into the kitchen - impress the family with this TVNZ Good morning Pacific Cook-Off winning recipe that Tongan chef Alex Kaihea has kindly shared. For this recipe, ‘pele’ has been replaced with silverbeet.
TIME TO MAKE 30 - 45 mins
MEAL TYPE Side
- Place poaching ingredients in a deep pot and bring to boiling point and simmer for 10 minutes.
- If Hapuka fillets are thick - slice them thinly horizontally.
- Pan-fry capsicum in the oil for about 1 minute.
- Lay about 20cm of glad wrap on a flat surface and place banana leaf on top.
- Arrange Hapuka fillet on top of banana leaf and season with pepper and chopped spring onion.
- Squeeze the lemon or lime juice over.
- Add a layer of silver beet leaves on top and then the capsicum in one line in the middle.
- Using the gladwrap roll up the banana leaf (like rolling sushi) and twist each end to close
- Place Hapuka roll on tin foil and roll again, closing each end so that it looks like a Christmas cracker.
- Using a fork or needle poke holes in the Hapuka roll.
- Place into the poaching liquid and simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from poaching liquid and remove foil and glad wrap
- Slice and serve like sushi with a salsa on the side