Beef and red wine pies
A healthier version of meat pies Recipe from Deliciously Healthy Cookbook, Heart Foundation, 2001.
TIME TO MAKE 2+ hours
MEAL TYPE Dinner
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Heat oil in a large pan, add onion and cook over meduim heat for 5 minutes until golden. Add garlic and beef and cook for 5 minutes until beef is brown on all sides.
- Add four and tomato paste and cook a further two minutes, stirring. Add red wine and stock and bring to the boil. Add carrots, mushrooms and thyme. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about an hour, remove lid and cook for a further 45 minutes until beef is tender and sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Add parsley. transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Using the pie dish as a guide, cut circles from the pastry about 2cm larger than the pie dish.
- Spoon the filling into the pie dishes. Brush the edges of each pastry circle with a little water then cover the dishes (damp side down); pressing the pastry to the side of the dish to seal.
- Cut a small cross in the top of each pie, insert a sprig of thyme and lighty brush with milk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the filling is hot.
- Serve the pies with mashed potato and steamed beans.